Privacy & Care
Murrigunyah staff and volunteers will respect your privacy at all times. As a client we will collect and record information about you. This is to enable Murrigunyah staff to work with you to achieve the best possible outcomes. All information recorded is strictly confidential and will not be given to others unless your permission has been given in writing; however there are times when Murrigunyah may be required to provide your information without your permission: this is limits to privacy.
Limits to Privacy includes;
- A court orders us to make your records available.
- If we believe you pose a danger to yourself or other people.
- If we think someone who is unable to defend themselves is being harmed or at risk of being harmed, such as a person with a disability or a person under 18 years. Usually we will advise you if this occurs.
- If a funding department wants to ensure the quality of our work.
- Non identifiable information may be included in statistics we provide to our funding bodies, this information will not identify you.
We believe it is important our clients are cared for, respected and supported throughout their relationship with Murrigunyah by ensuring:
- Duty of Care
- Rights and Responsibilities of Clients
Duty of Care
- Provide emotional support and appropriate information to Indigenous clients and their families in crisis.
- Identify needs and inform Indigenous clients of their rights and options.
- Facilitate access to appropriate choices which support and enhance cultural and spiritual beliefs.
- Provide assistance and support in a manner which respects and protects the privacy, dignity, self-esteem and self-respect of Indigenous clients and their families in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Encourage Indigenous clients to make informed decisions about their lives and future.
- Commit to honesty and sincerity when counselling clients.
- Ensure duty of care to clients.
- Recognise that all forms of abuse severely impair a persons ability to cope with life.
- Develop and deliver culturally appropriate programs and conduct activities designed to encourage Indigenous clients to discuss their situation, fear, anxieties and needs
- Murrigunyah has a confidentiality policy in place to protect the privacy of client information.